Export Classification

A small number of products and technology require a license from either the Department of Commerce or Department of State before they can be exported from the United States. To determine if a license is needed to export the product or technology, exporters must first determine which government agency has jurisdiction over the commodity. Once jurisdiction is determined, the commodity must be found on the the Commerce Control List (CCL) or the U.S. Munitions List (USML). 

If an article, service, or data is found on the USML, an export license from the Department of State is required. If the article/technology is not on the USML, it must be classified with an Export Control Classification Number (ECCN). Once an ECCN has been identified, an exporter must determine the reason for control, and consult the Department of Commerce Country Chart to determine if an export license is required.

Global Trade Expertise can help exporters determine the jurisdiction of a commodity, classify the commodity, and determine if an export license is required or if a license exception or exemption is available. We have successfully obtained numerous commodity jurisdiction rulings and obtained commodity classification determinations on behalf of our clients.